Sri Kshanada-gita Cintamani
BY: SUN STAFF
Under the Vrindavan Moon
Lithograph, Prem Milan Studios, c. 1920
Feb 09, CANADA (SUN) A collection of devotional songs in 30 parts.
Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura (1643-1720), an inhabitant of Saidabad (Murshidabad), was a great Vaishnava scholar, famous throughout India. An eminent philosopher and author of many Sanskrit books and works of poetry, his greatest achievement was his commentary on the Shrimad Bhagavatam, entitled Sarartha-darshini. His collection of Vaishnava padyavalis (devotional songs), entitled Kshanada-gita Chintamani, was the first of its kind in Bengali literature.
Sri Kshanada-gita Chintamani is a collection of offerings divided into thirty nights, beginning with the "First Night of the Dark Fortnight", or Prathama Kshanada, Krishna-pratipada.
by Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura
1. advaita-prakati-krito narahari-preshthah svarupa-priyo
nityananda-sakhah sanatana-gatih sri-rupa-hrit-ketanah
lakshmi-prana-patir gadadhara-rasollasi jagannatha-bhuh
sangopanga-sa-parshadah sa dayatam devah saci-nandanah
2. ajanu-lambita-bhujau kanakavadatau
visvambharau dvija-varau yuga-dharma-palau
vande jagat-priyakarau karunavatarau
3. heloddhulita-khedaya visadaya pronmila-damodaya
samyac-chastra-vivadaya rasadaya cittarpitonmadaya
sasvad-bhakti-vinodaya samadaya madhurya-maryadaya
sri-caitanya daya-nidhe tava daya bhuyad amandodaya
1. May Saci's son, whom Advaita Acarya brought to this world, who is most dear to Narahari Thakura, who is dear to Svarupa Damodara, who is Lord Nityananda's friend, who is the goal of Sanatana Gosvami's life, who makes His home in Rupa Gosvami's heart, who is the goal of Lakshmipriya's every breath, who is the nectar that delights Gadadhara Pandita, who was born from Jagannatha Misra, who is surrounded by His many associates, and who is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, be merciful to us.
2. I offer my respectful obeisances to the two fathers of the sankirtana movement, whose long arms reach to Their knees, who are splendid like gold, whose large eyes are lotus flowers, who are the maintainers of the worlds, the best of the brahmanas, and the protectors of the yuga-dharma (the religion of the age), and who bring happiness to the people of the world, and who have come to this place because They are very merciful.
3. O ocean of mercy, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu! Let there be an awakening of Your auspicious mercy, which easily drives away all kinds of material lamentation. By Your mercy, everything is made pure and blissful. It awakens transcendental bliss and covers all gross material pleasures. By Your auspicious mercy, quarrels and disagreements arising from different scriptures are vanquished. Your auspicious mercy causes the heart to jubilate by pouring forth transcendental mellows. Your mercy always stimulates devotional service, which is full of joy. You are always glorifying the conjugal love of God. May transcendental bliss be awakened in my heart by Your causeless mercy.
Prathama Kshanada, Krishna-pratipada
First Night, First Night of the Dark Fortnight
Sri Gauracandrasya of Lord Gauracandra
1. (Refrain) dekha dekha soi muratimaya leha
kancana-kanti sudha jini madhurima
nayana cashaka bhari leha
2. syamala varana madhura-rasa aushadhi
puraba yo gokula maha
upajala jagata yuvati umataola
yo saurabha parabaha
3. yo rasa baraja- gauri-kuca-mandala-
mandana-bara kari rakhi
te bhela gaura gauda aba aola
4. sakala-bhubana-sukha kirtana-sampada
matta rahala dina-rati
bhaba-daba kon kon kali-kalmasha
yanha hari-vallabha bhati
1. (Refrain, Look! Look at His glorious form! Filling the cups of your eyes, drink the sweetness of the nectar of This form effulgent like gold!
2. In ancient times He was like a glorious moon shining in the land of Gokula. He had a dark complexion. He was filled with the nectar of sweetness. All the universes were born from Him. He was the passionate lover of the teenage gopis. He was like a swiftly flowing stream of the sweetest fragrance.
3. In ancient times He was like an ornament on the fair vraja-gopis' breasts. That is why He now has a fair complexion. Descending to the land of West Bengal, He has become a kalpa-vriksha tree of spiritual love.
4. He fills all the worlds with bliss. He is rich with the wealth of sankirtana. Day and night He is wild with ecstasy. Where is the blazing forest fire of birth and death now? Where are the sins of Kali-yuga now? Now He stands before Hari-vallabha (Visvanatha Cakravarti).
Sri Nityanandasya of Lord Nityananda
1. (Refrain, are mora nitai se nayara
samsara-tapita jibera jibana
nitai mora sukhera sayara
2. abani-mandale aila nitai
padmabati-nandana basu jahnabara jibana
3. rama abatare anuja achila
lakshmana baliya nama
krishna abatare gokula-bihare
jyeshtha bhai balarama
4. gaura abatare nadiya-bihare
nitai baliya nama
kali-andha-kupe padiya bipake
dake dvija ganga-rama
1. (Refrain, Ah! Lord Nitai is my master. He is the life of the souls tormented by this world of birth and death. My Lord Nitai is an ocean of bliss.
2. Accepting the garments of an avadhuta, Lord Nitai came to this earth. He became the delight of Padmavati and the life of Vasu Jahnava. He enjoyed glorious pastimes with Lord Caitanya.
3. When Lord Ramacandra descended to this world, Nitai became His younger brother, then His name was Laksmana. When Lord Krishna descended to this world and enjoyed pastimes in Gokula, Nitai became His elder brother Balarama.
4. When Lord Gaura descended to this world and enjoyed pastimes in Nadiya, Nitai was known by the name Nitai. Dvija Ganga-rama, who has fallen into the blind well of Kali-yuga and who suffers greatly, now calls out to Lord Nitai.
Sri Krishna Aha - Sri Krishna Speaks
1. (dhani go, aju pekhanu bala kheli
ya‚ mandira bahira bheli
naba jaladhare bijuri rekha
dhandha badaiya geli
2. (se ye, alapa-bayasi bala, janu ganthani puhapa-mala
thori darasane, asa na purala
badala madana jvala
3. (se ye, gauri kalebara luna, janu kajare ujora sona
kesari jiniya, majhari kshini
4. (se ye, ishat hasani sane, mujhe hanala nayana-bane
ciranjiba rahu, panca-gaudesvara
kabi bidyapati bane
1. (Aha! Bravo!, Look at that small boy playing outside His house. He looks like a new monsoon cloud decorated with a lightning flash. There is a great mystery about Him.
2. (That, boy is very young. He wears a garland of flowers. I see Him for only a brief moment. This does not satisfy me. Flames of desire now burn within me.
3. (His, body is soft like butter. He is decorated with black kajjala and with glistening gold. His slender waist defeats the lion's waist. His sidelong glance is filled with rare glory.
4. (He, gently smiles. He looks at me from the corners of His eyes. The poet Vidyapati says: May He live eternally as the king of the five Gauda lands.
1. na rahe guru-jana majhe
bekata anga na thakaye laje
2. bala-jana sane base
taruni pai tahim parihase
3. madhava pekhalum ramani
ko kahu bala ko kahu taruni
4. keli rabhasa ya‚ sune
anatahim heri tahim dei kane
5. ithe yadi koi karaye paricari
kandana makhi hasi dei gari
6. kabi bidyapati bhane
bala-carita rasika-jana jane
1. He does not stay amongst His elders. He does not shyly cover His limbs.
2. He stays with the boys. When He sees a girl, He makes a joke.
3. O Madhava, I see some girls. What boy will talk with them? What girl will give a reply?
4. Eager to enjoy pastimes, they all listen. Seeing Him, the girl listens.
5. If Krishna talks to a girl He will only mock her and make her cry.
6. The poet Vidyapati says: Only the rasikas, who know how to relish what is truly sweet, can understand these boyhood pastimes of Lord Krishna.
1. saisaba yauvana darasane bhela
donhu dala-bale dhani dwandwa padi gela
2. kabahun- bandhaye kaca kabahun- bithara
kabahun- jhampaye anga kabahun- ughara
3. thira nayana athira kachu bhela
uraja-udaya-thala lalima dela
4. sasimukhi chodala saisaba-dehe
thata dei tejala tribali tina rehe
5. aba yaubana bhela bankima ditha
upajala laja hasa bhela mitha
6. carana cancala cita cancala bana
jagala manasija mudita nayana
7. bidyapati kahe kara abadhana
bala-ange lagala panca-bana
1. Childhood and youth appear together as the two followers of a beautiful young gopi.
2. Sometimes her hair is neatly bound, and other times it is loose. Sometimes her body is carefully covered, and other times parts of it are not.
3. Sometimes her eyes are peaceful, and other times their are restless. A ruddy effulgence now has come to her breast.
4. Her face is like a moon rising above her young form. Three glorious folds of skin have appeared at her waist.
5. Her glances are marked with the crookedness of youth. Her shy smiles are sweet.
6. Her feet are restless. Her heart is restless. Kamadeva has awakened in her cheerful eyes.
7. Vidyapati says: My dear girl, please take this opportunity to fire Kamadeva's arrows at the boy Sri Krishna.
1. khane khane nayana-kona anusara-i
khane khane basana dhuli bhare bhara-i
2. khane khane dasanako chatachati hasa
khane khane adhara age gahe basa
3. bala saisaba taruna bheta
lakha-i na para-i jetha kanetha
4. hridaya mukulita heri thora thori
khane ancara de-i khane bha-i bhori
5. canki calaye khane khane calu manda
manamatha pathako kari anubandha
6. bidyapati kaha suna bara kana
tarunima saisaba cihna-i na jana
1. Moment after moment a young gopi looks from the corners of her eyes. Moment after moment her cloth becomes dusty.
2. Moment after moment she smiles, revealing the effulgence of her teeth. Moment after moment she covers her lips with her cloth.
3. Childhood and youth meet within her. I do not know if she is a woman or child.
4. I see that the buds of her breasts are beginning to sprout. One moment she covers her head with her cloth. The next moment she forgets to cover it.
5. One moment she walks quickly and anxiously. The next moment she walks slowly and languidly. She has become a student, carefully studying the books of Kamadeva.
6. Vidyapati says: O glorious Krishna, do You not see how the marks of childhood and youth are both present within her?
(The same Raga)
1. duti seyani kara-i so-i thata
pandita hama padaoba patha
2. cetana majjhu jhasha-ketana-tantra
abagahi lena sikhana rasa-mantra
3. apana tana-kancana hame de-i
yatanahim prema-ratana bhari le-i
4. bidya-ballabha iha ajiba
iha binu donhuko ji-u na jiba
1. We gopi messengers are learned and wise. We will teach You.
2. Carefully studying the Kama-sastras, we will find the nectar mantras and teach them to You.
3. We will take the jewel of pure love and place it on the golden necklace of Your breast.
4. Vidya-vallabha says: Without the divine couple, I cannot live.
1. aoli duti rahasi calu bala
pucha-ite suna-i kaha-i so-i kala
2. kamala-nayana rupa-gunaka phande
su-catura duti ramani-mana bandhe
3. janala bata manobhava-bhupe
dhanika darala lalasa-rasa-kupe
4. ta‚ dutika karu sarana kisori
so deoli abhisariko duri
5. sambhrame gahi gahi ta kara-mula
paoli dhani yamunaka-kula
6. sadhase dhadhase dhaka dhaka prana
kahe hari-ballabha bhetaha kana
1. Arriving at a secluded place, a gopi messenger says: I will hear your questions, and then I will tell you about Krishna.
2. Krishna's form, qualities, and lotus eyes are all traps, traps to catch the hearts and thoughts of beautiful young girls. This the wise gopi messenger said.
3. Hearing that a girl was caught in Krishna's trap, King Kamadeva came. For her he poured a nectar drink drawn from the well of amorous longings.
4. That girl took shelter of the gopi messenger. The messenger bound that girl with the ropes of a lover's meeting with Krishna.
5. Taking her by the hand, the messenger quickly brought that girl to a place by the Yamuna's bank.
6. The girl is agitated. Her heart throbs and throbs. Hari-vallabha says: That girl met Krishna in that place.
1. e sakhi e sakhi la-i jani yaha
muni ati balika abanata naha
2. pasa yaite aba ji-u more kampe
kanca kamala bhramara karu jhampe
3. dubara deha more jhampala cira
janu dagamaga kare naliniko nira
4. ma ihe ki sahaye jibako sati
kon bihi sirajila papini rati
5. bhanaye bidyapati takhanaka bhana
ko na dekhata sakhi hota bihana
1. That girl! That girl! Take that girl and go! I am only a child. Please don't make me fall down.
2. My life trembles to enter this hunter's trap. My life is like a golden lotus attacked by a black bee.
3. My weak body trembles like a lotus splashed by the waters.
4. Ah! I cannot bear this torment. Why did the creator Brahma create this sinful night?
5. Vidyapati asks: Who is this girl that thinks she will not see morning again?
1. kahe darasi dhani calu hama sanga
madhava nahi parasiba tuya anga
2. e rajani phula-kanana majha
ko eka phirata saji bahu saja
3. kusumako ghora dhanuka dhari pani
marata sara bala-jana jani
4. ata-e calaha sakhi bhitara kunja
yanhi hari rahata maha-bala-punja
5. eta kahi anala dhani hari pasa
purala ballabha sukha abhilasha
1. O beautiful girl, who are you so afraid? I will go with you. Krishna won't touch your body.
2. What married girl would walk in the flower-filled forest at night?
3. Kamadeva carries his fearsome flower-bow in his hands. With his arrows he has already wounded many youths. This I know.
4. Friend, come into this forest grove. Powerful Krishna waits there for you.
5. In this way that beautiful girl was led into Krishna's trap. The yearnings of Hari-vallabha are now fulfilled.
1. dhari sakhi ancara bha-i upacanka
baithi na baitha-i hari-pariyanka
2. calaite ali cala-i puna caha
rasa-abhilashe agorala naha
3. lubadhala madhaba yugadhala nari
o ati bidagadha e ati gonari
4. parasite tarasi karahim kara letha-i
hera-ite bayana nayana-jala khala-i
5. hatha parirambhane tharahari kampa
cumbane badana patancale jhampa
6. sutali bhita putali sama gori
cita-nalini ali rahali agori
7. gobinda dasa kaha iha parinama
rupako kupe magana bhela kana
1. O gopi friend, you clutch the edge of your garment. You are frightened. Either sit or don't sit on the bed with Krishna.
2. You see that your friends come here again and again. Please don't try to hide the truth, that you do indeed yearn to enjoy nectar pastimes with Krishna.
3. Krishna is greedy with passion. You are a charming innocent girl. He is very wise. You are acting like a fool.
4. If you fear He will touch you, then push Him away with your hand.
5. When you gaze at His face, tears will slide from your eyes. When He passionately embraces you, you will tremble.
6. When He kisses you, you will cover your face with your garment. Frightened, you will lie down. You will look like a fair-colored puppet. Krishna will become like a black bee resting on the lotus flower of your heart.
7. Govinda dasa bows down and says: Lord Krishna became plunged in the deep well of that gopi's beauty.
1. tharahari kampaye lahu lahu bhasha
laje na bacana karaye parakasa
2. aju dhani pekhanu bada biparita
khane anumati khane manaye bhita
3. surataka name muda-i du-i ankhi
pa-ola madana-mahaushadhi sakhi
4. cumbana beri karaye mukha banka
milana canda saroruha-anka
5. nibi-bandha-parase camaki uthe gori
janala madana-bhandarake cori
6. phuyala basana hiya bhuje rahu santi
bahire ratana ancare de-i ganthi
7. bidyapati ki bujhaba bala hari
teji talapa parirambhane bheri
1. She trembles. She speaks sweet, sweet words. There is no shyness in her words.
2. The beautiful girl gazes with crooked eyes. One moment she consents. The next moment she is afraid.
3. Filled with passionate desire, she closes her eyes. This gopi has drunk the elixir of passion.
4. From many kisses her mouth curls into a smile. She is like the moon resting in the lap of a lotus flower.
5. When He touches the knot of her sash, the fair gopi becomes alarmed. She knows He will now plunder Kamadeva's treasure house.
6. He loosens her garments. He places His arm on her breast. He removes her jewel ornaments. He unties the knot of her sash.
7. Will Vidyapati ever understand these pastimes? O Lord Krishna, please speak. Please explain these pastimes where You embrace a gopi on a bed.
Submit an Article
Copyright 2005, HareKrsna.com. All rights reserved.