Sep 29, 2017 CANADA (SUN)
Today we present a letter from Yasodanandana (then) Swami to Satsvarupa Goswami, dated January 1, 1979. It is on letterhead from Shri Krishna Balaram Mandir & Guest House. A hand-written cover note from Yasodanandana identifies the document as "Proposed Topics of Discussion for 1979 Mayapura Meeting".
1 January, 1979
His Divine Grace Satsvarupa Gosvami
Dear Satsvarupa Maharaja,
Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada.
These are various topics of discussion from Vrindavan for the Mayapur festival meeting.
1. Position of the Vrindavan project.
2. Present relationships with local public and Indian public.
3. Present position with the Gurukula and the public.
4. Future expansion of enrollment of Bhaktivedanta Swami Gurukula in relationship with the rest of the Society.
5. Present position regarding appointment of initiating guru for the Vrindavan temple.
6. Discussion of relationships between different gurus and future initiations of Gurukula children.
7. Discussion of present position of Krsna-Balarama management in relation to the building of Srila Prabhupada's samadhi.
8. Discussion of food relief distribution of Vrindavan.
9. Discussion of preaching area of the Vrindavan temple (Rajasthan and all the parties going there).
10. Discussion on visits of ISKCON devotees from various parts of the world.
OTHER TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION
1. Position, function, jurisdiction of the acarya(s)
2. Discussion of the meaning of the term rtvik acarya
3. Reason for appointment and mood of appointment of the eleven diksa-gurus at the time of Srila Prabhupada's disappearance
a. the conversation of Srila Prabhupada and Tamala Krsna Goswami regarding the appointment of these 11 diksa gurus
b. see letter by Tamala Krsna Goswami
4. A discussion of the meaning of the authorization to give initiation
(Hari-nama and Gayatri)
a. actual position of the diksa gurus in the society (ISKCON)
b. relationships between the diksa-gurus and the rest of the GBC
c. who is actually the deciding authority in ISKCON – the 11 diksa gurus or the entire GBC board or a few members of the board
d. relationship with the temple presidents and the diksa-gurus
5. Discussion of the actual meaning of the words siksa-guru and diksa-guru
6. Discussion of the meaning of the word acarya and the difference between rtvik acarya and sampradaya acarya
7. Significance of the seat (asana)
8. Relationship between the diksa-guru and the public
9. Relationship between the diksa-guru and the God-brother
a. relationships between the diksa-gurus and the life-members in India
b. relationships between the diksa-gurus and other sannyasis in our movement.
c. are the sannyasis as God-brothers regarded as lower representatives of the sampradaya
10. Relationships between the diksa-guru and the rest of the initiated devotees
a. responsibility involved in accepting a disciple
b. purpose of accepting a disciple
c. consequences of poorly-trained disciples (image of society)
11. Relationship between the diksa-guru and the government of India
a. future relationships with the government officials
b. future relationships with the society and the government
12. Reasons that Srila Prabhupada did not appoint a particular acarya (vakya)
13. Reason and nature of the appointment of the 11 diksa gurus (see #3)
a. ref. letter dated July 9, 1977
b. subsequent statements by Srila Prabhupada
14. Role and jurisdiction of the GBC body and its relation to the affairs of ISKCON temples and properties.
a. present trend of the interpretation of the actual position of the diksa gurus and their relationship with the GBC body
15. After the last Mayapur festival, all God-brothers were in clear mutual agreement that no one would try to establish himself as the acarya for a particular zone or part of ISKCON
a. Sridhara Maharaja conversation 24 March 1978, Nabadwipa
b. " " " 27 March 1978 "
c. circular printed at Mayapur on Gaura Purnima
16. Discussion on the meaning of the word guru. (see 1, 5, 6)
17. Discussion of the term founder-acarya
18. Discussion of the meaning of Vyasa-asana (se #7)
19. Discussion on meaning of Prabhupada's position on his Vyasa-asana,
20. Discussion on asana niti or seating arrangements procedure
21. Discussion on the relationship between assuming the position of acarya and the relationship with the establishment of a Vyasa-asana in the temples founded by the original founder-acarya or prathsithata acarya
22. Discussion on daily procedures of how to conduct guru-puja
23. Discussion on Jaya Dhvani nita, Ahara niti, Kanistha Jyestha niti
24. Discussion about the future appointment of diksa gurus
I am sincerely hoping to hear some clarification of these topics. Hoping this list will provide some enlivening philosophical discussion. Thank you for considering them. Hare Krsna.